Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Day 1: Activation

Today my iPhone 5 (unlocked GSM) ordered directly from Apple was delivered and I promptly popped out the T-Mobile SIM card from my Nexus 4 to make the swap. Unfortunately at this point I realized my Micro SIM would be of no use since the iPhone 5 requires a Nano SIM.

I have cut down many standard size (Mini) SIM cards before to fit into Micro SIM slots when switching devices. But due to the extremely thin margin for error on the Nano SIM and actual differences in the contact points I decided not to attempt the procedure myself this time. So I was off to the T-Mobile store.



Activation turned out to be a bit more of a process that I had expected. Not only did I have to purchase and activate a new Nano SIM card, but the iPhone required a series of software updates and restarts over the course of 10-15 minutes to properly configure for the T-Mobile carrier network. This is very different from what I was used to with GSM Android devices that are ready almost instantly after popping in a new SIM.

In the end it worked. I made my first phone call and sent my first SMS with the iPhone. The only issue I am having now is that 12 hours later the device is only showing only extended network coverage. This despite having a 4G plan and having successfully connected to 4G on Android devices at the office and at home using my T-Mobile account prior to making the switch.

I'm not sure whether this is just a display issue (am I really getting 4G even though it says "E") or an actual problem with the network. If the issue is real, is it a problem with the device or T-Mobile? Or both?

At the time of writing this I am still working on getting all of my Google services (mail, calendar, contacts, etc.) synced to the iPhone. More on this tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment