Thursday, April 25, 2013

Day 2: Google Sync

All of my contacts, events, and personal email reside in Google land. Syncing Google data with Android is for the most part a seamless experience. Setting up sync with my new iPhone required some config but really wasn't bad (once I found the correct set of instructions).

Doing a quick search for "sync google with iphone" turns up the following results.


The first hit looked promising so I clicked it and dove right in. The page described syncing Google contacts, calendar, and email with iOS using Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync protocol. This seemed weird to me but I went ahead and gave it a try.


No dice. After several more attempts I was stuck. Eventually I noticed the big yellow warning banner at the top of the page! In short-- these are not the instructions you are looking for.


Apparently Google dropped ActiveSync support for all accounts except Google Apps accounts effective January 30, 2013. (This is probably old news to regular iOS users.) The banner even conveniently provides a link to the proper set of instructions for personal accounts.

According to the new instructions:

  • Contacts should be synced to the iOS Contacts app using the CardDAV format.
  • Calendar should be synced to the iOS Calendar app using the CalDAV format.
  • GMail app should be used to instantly receive and send mail.*

* This last point is important. Since dropping support for ActiveSync, it is no longer possible to receive GMail via push to the iOS Mail app. It is still possible to sync GMail using IMAP, but updates will be based on a polling interval rather than push.

Using the official GMail app also offers several other advantages including multiple account support, real-time notifications, and improved search.

The updated instructions were easy to follow and now I am happily using all of my Google services on the iPhone 5.


4G Update

Yesterday while driving into the city I was able to pick up a 4G signal on the iPhone for the first time. So it's not that 4G is entirely broken. But the question remains why would I get T-Mobile 4G on my Nexus 4 but not on the iPhone 5 at home and at work with the same plan?

No comments:

Post a Comment